Goodreads asked Angele Gougeon:

Angele Gougeon I'm a long-time reader of fantasy and lover of all things paranormal. Back in the Fall of 2009, a kernel of an idea began to form. I was in my mid-twenties and began to imagine a story that was steeped in shades of grey. 'Sticks and Stones' still follows that old schema of good against evil, except ... its heroes are much more tarnished. They make much more horrible decisions. They're on a slippery slope that may not lead them out to a happily ever after.

The first draft was hashed out during Nano (and I'll admit that it was an awful thing.) But the story continued to evolve long after that winter month. It became much far reaching, turning into a journey across several States as the characters both tried to find themselves and run away. From the beginning, it was always about a seer and the family that would adopt her as one of theirs, but it immediately gained a life of its own.

But isn't that how it always goes?