Goodreads asked Michele McKnight Baker:

Michele McKnight Baker My professional background includes journalism, research, and teaching. I love finding and telling a good story, especially one that was untold and sheds new light on a subject. And I love giving voice to individuals and groups who have been marginalized or misunderstood. In this multi-cultural, generational saga, we hear from the women and children.

Twelve year old Junior Thompson’s clear-eyed truth-telling introduces us to a soldier suffering from “soldier’s heart” (the Civil War term for what we now know as post traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD) and his shocking actions during a church service, on April 9, 1865, the day Lee surrenders to Grant.