Samuel Poulin-Cailloux

Argh! I just realised that the Golden Bough edition I bought when I was 19 is not the complete edition (yeah, I kinda buy books for later, you see") and the other volumes are pretty much impossible to find in the same edition. What would be the best digital edition of the thing?

To answer questions about The Golden Bough, please sign up.
S If you still haven't read it yet, just read a good abridged version. I'm pretty sure the Oxford abridgement contains all the relevant hypotheses. Frazer's various original editions will contain many more examples to support his various hypotheses and will make for extremely gruelling reading. The Oxford abridgement is wonderful stuff, but each argument is broken down into lots of smaller arguments, which are in turn supported by up to about a couple dozen examples - fatiguing to read. The unabridged editions will simply hammer the points home, or possibly be more of a compendium to dip into rather than something to read straight through.
Aria Oliver Have you tried project Gutenberg? The format won't be lovely but they do have at least one extensive version - whether it's abridged or not, I do not know.
all around atlantis The unabridged version is the work of a life by a high-rate scholar, and it would take another scholar to read it. It has the dimensions of an encyclopedia.

Try to find out which abridged version is the best.
Old-Barbarossa I'm not aware of any "complete" versions currently in print or available digitally.
They all seem to be abridged...which I'm not normally in favour of but in this case I kind of see the point.
However there are various abridgements out there...the trick would be to find the one that has more of the stuff you are interested in and less about, say, nail clipping disposal (unless that's your thing).
Image for The Golden Bough