Amanda
Amanda asked:

Does this book have recommendations about what can be done? Which types of jobs will be least affected? Recommendations for how government/society can deal with this so there's prosperity and not economic insecurity?

Daniel The Republican Party in the United States always wants to de-fund Planned Parenthood. Evidently they think the best response to the coming tsunami of technological unemployment is to create more babies to compete for the shrinking supply of jobs.

To answer your first question, I'm not seeing much in the book about how to solve the problem. The book is more about explaining what the problem is than how to fix it. The first step in fixing a problem is to acknowledge that it exists, and so far I haven't heard of a government anywhere on the planet that acknowledges this one. We're basically stampeding toward massive, permanent unemployment with absolutely no plan. A guaranteed minimum income is one possible policy response, but it's hard to see that becoming a reality. It might not stand up to robotic deflation anyway - as people start losing jobs, they consume less, so the economy shrinks, so the gazillionaires have less money we could tax away to fund the guaranteed minimum wage. Basically, technological progress says the human population needs to shrink, like the horse population did when horses became obsolete, There's no nice way to do that. No politician could get elected on that platform.
Kevin Varney The author's main suggestion was universal basic income, but how do you pay for it?
Nursing is a job that is hard to automate. It will be a long time before robots have enough dexterity and versatility for that. I think a lot of the trades are resistant to automation. A robot can't climb your roof and fit a TV aerial. I was talking about this with some friends. I have a friend who's a sports masseur; robots can't do that. Her daughter's a hairdresser; robot's can't do that. Another is a pest controller; robots can't do that. Another is a teacher; robot's can't keep control of a class. There are other jobs which even if they could be automated, you might prefer a real person, e.g. barmaid. Jobs like book-keeping could be automated, and a lot of white collar jobs could be de-skilled.
Russell Schmidt The author's answer is a tentative support for Universal Basic Income, whereby everyone is guaranteed some sort of stipend just for being alive. To your second question, it appears that no one is safe, though the author points out that technological disruption results in all sorts of new jobs so perhaps staying techno-savvy is the safest bet so you can at least be around to polish the robots until a robot-polishing machine comes along.
Rajan The book offers insights from the point of view of the government, such as a proposal to offer a guaranteed minimum wage.
As for jobs, AI & robotics engineers probably counts among the safe one, though the authors doesn't say anything.
Jean Hi, I'm halfway through the book and I can positively say that the book does give insight on which types of jobs will be affected.
As for the recommendations, I haven't seen anything like it so far.
Image for Rise of the Robots