Jill Green
Jill Green asked:

Is it my imagination or is Rand just completely clueless for most of the book? Plus,what i s up with all the weird spellings/pronounciations of words? How do you get keye-ree-ehn from Cairhien??

To answer questions about Lord of Chaos, please sign up.
Matthew Yes, he's clueless. It seems a lot of everyone's problems would be solved if thef didn't act like asses to everyone else just to "show them." From Rand to Elayne to Mat to Nyneave. A bunch of arrogant asses, all.
That pronunciation threw me off as well. I think it's because it's breaking syllables in unexpected places: Cai-rhi-en
Lisa As most authors would tell you, it doesn't matter how it's pronounced at the beginning, it really what makes sense to you. I try to follow the pronunciations in the book, but some are awkward, so I find my own way. I don't think Mr. Jordan's ghost is going to find me and kick my ass because of it. As to Jakub Bialek....????
Jakub Bialek Because in Latin you would read it just like that :> English is not the only language in the world, you know? ;)
Patriciaenola The language from which you get / derive - Cairhien is probably Celtic in its essence - it is is the weird looking way of Celtic spelling that lends its words well to fantasy fiction - since Matthew is splitting his word into syllables - excellent - hope he remembers to aspirate the rhi bit - same as the Greek rho
Image for Lord of Chaos