Ruth
Ruth asked:

I must have missed it, and there was no way I was going to go back and LOOK FOR this bit of puzzlement. What was the reason the birds were gathering around the explosives shed and later around the penthouse of the Sweeny building?

To answer questions about City on Fire, please sign up.
kat
Julia Charlie also said something about Sol's birds being gone and now they were circling the building. And I Charlie was even having Pulaski follow where he saw the birds when they were trying to figure out where the bomb was, which lead them to the Hamilton-Sweeny building.
Sardinicus
Stephanie The birds were cared for by the guy who owned the backpack. They were abandoned by him, and somehow managed to locate his aura(smell? sighted him?). It was because of that guy that the pigeons were circling the building, at any rate.
Image for City on Fire