Goodreads asked Christopher Douglas:

Christopher Douglas I read Dan Brown's novel Angels and Demons and was fixated on the first part about CERN. This is probably because I love science. I became very interested in what they did and how the place worked.
Then After reading far too many books about the LHC (Large Hadron Collider), I thought it would be the perfect place to set up the beginning of the end. Originally it was going to be more of a fantasy novel, but the science took over. Although several characters in the book are, how should I put it? Different to us (being from Alternate realities), I tried to keep their abilities within the confines of what could really happen if evolution had been altered. As For the other main characters, well, the young scientist Leon is loosely based around my son's attributes, I spend so much time working, I wanted/ want him to see that I do think about him always and this was my way of immortalising him. But people are real and the have their faults, so I had to add a few flaws to his personality, which he agreed to, reluctantly.
Because Turin is such a beautiful place, and also close to CERN, I felt it was logical to move the settings around and finish in this particular setting.