Katie
Katie asked Liane Moriarty:

My book club discussed "The Husband's Secret" and it was a very interesting talk. We wondered: did you intend the epilogue to be taken literally? OR - was it more of a "this COULD have happened" type thing. There were some parts of it that seemed a bit TOO perfect (like Polly becoming a tennis star if it weren't for her missing arm), and some of us wondered if it was a fantasy of a possible, but not real, future.

Liane Moriarty Mmm, I think meant it literally (or as literally as fiction can be)
Maybe you're right and the part about Polly was too perfect, I remember one editor said the same thing, and wanted to take it out, but once it came into my head it felt like that was the case: Polly WOULD have been a tennis star. (I'm so glad it generated an interesting discussion for you.)
Liane Moriarty