Abhinav Athreya

What are the main causes of the "apocalypse" in this book?

To answer questions about California, please sign up.
Louise
Cheryl I don't think there was an "apocalypse" in the book - rather, a series of major weather/climate change related disasters, which affected food and energy production, leading to huge disparities in wealth and subsequent access to health care, food, and education. It's clear that there are many people living reasonably well in insulated and isolated communities, as well as others who chose or were forced to become more land dependent.
Jocelyn There is also the economic factor. Was it explained why prices for everything rose, jobs were lost and universities were closed?
Heidi I saw this book as more "future dystopian society" and less "post-apocalyptic."
Jerri I think it was an extremely high rate of wealth inequality.
Alex
Sliturthroatanddie i think an oil shortage was a main factor.
Martha It seemed to me that it was all caused by climate change.
Chris Agreed, Louise. But the assumption that all of these things happen at the same time is somewhat ridiculous. I don't buy it.
Anastasia One thing was all the cancer caused by Devices (yes, with a capital D).
Brian It seems to have been a very slow decline, rather an apocalypse. It's not really directly addressed, but it seems environment and economics were the issues.
Inequality is a pretty clear force in the book and there's the mentions of everything becoming too expensive, few jobs, less resources.
Though its much more sparsely touched on, climate change seems to be the other.
All of which lead to health disasters and the collapse of government (or at least any that functions in any way)
Image for California
by Edan Lepucki (Goodreads Author)