Goodreads asked Tonia Parronchi:

Tonia Parronchi Each book is different. "A Whisper on the Mediterranean" is based on our real adventures with our sailing boat and I had my diary to work from. "The Song of the Cypress" was written over a year and each day that I walked I noted each new plant in season, how the spring mists rose around the cypresses and how the snow covered everything in its pure folds. So in that novel it was nature that inspired me.
"The Melting of Miss Angelina Snow" started with a dream and some music from my youth. I wrote that scene and Angelina was born, full formed and feisty right then but I had to wait months before I found the right man for her to fall in love with. In the end a tragedy inspired me. My wonderful friend Tonino fell from his boat and drowned in the Tevere River. His body was found 10 days later and I could not bear to let him go. I used every facet of his grumpy, sardonic and exasperating character to create Leonardo. I loved Tonino dearly and feel that I have written for him the life that he should have had.