Lynne Brookfield

Did anyone find Brett to be constantly opaque about her husband's lack of initiative in finding a job for himself? About his coasting on his good looks and charm? Did anyone not find Charlie to be a hollow man?

To answer questions about The Last September, please sign up.
Lori Shearer Yes I agree about the hollow or shallow Charlie, but I think Brett was fully aware and accepting of his limitations. I don't understand, however, why she was completely obsessed with him, especially since he flip-switched his devotion to his mother right to Brett after having ignored her for years. Every woman with sense knows you don't commit to a grieving man. I wouldn't call Brett or Eli "hollow" but I agree there's an overall lack in the depth of character development here.
Lisa Mcbroom I thought all the characters were hollow... The best thing about the book was the Cape Cod Scenery!
Image for The Last September