Goodreads asked Lauren M. Roy:

Lauren M. Roy I can read this question two ways, so you get two answers!

The inspiration for stories can come from anywhere, really. A snippet of conversation overheard on the train, a vivid dream, a news article about geeky science stuff, letting my brain follow the thread of a what-if. With Night Owls, for example, the name "Father Value" came from me misreading a line on IMDB. The name stuck with me, and I wondered who would have a name like that, what they'd be like. Elly's story flowed from there.

Alternate reading! If the question is "how do you gear up to sit down and put words on paper," the answer is much more mundane: Writing is a job. I sit down and do it whether I feel inspired to or not. Some days I'd rather be outside or playing video games or watching cat videos than cobbling words together. I suck it up and put fingers to keyboard anyway.