Elizabeth Benedict

Where do all of you stand on the issue of going gray/dying?

Julie I'm in my 50's too and do not dye my hair. I earned everyone of those gray hairs too. I don't have a problem with women who dye their hair but I have better things to do with my time and I am not afraid of being my true self.
Kim I am 56. I don't dye/color my hair for more than one reason. First, my mother (1927-2000 RIP) had the most beautiful white hair as she aged but it was the only thing she was ever the slightest bit vain about. Cancer ravaged her body and when it reached her brain, the treatment had her hair coming out in clumps. This, not the cancer, broke her spirit. I donated 6 feet of virgin hair in her memory. Second, I can't afford the expense or am not willing to put that portion of my income every month to maintain the illusion. Third, I am fighting my own battle, first with cancer and second a disease from the same family as ALS (Louu Gerhigs Disease, made famous by the ice bucket challenge craze.) I am literally walking through my hair though my auburn hair was so thick and long, I still get compliments. Finally, the truth is I am growing older and have earned this gray hair and hope someday it will be as beautiful as my mother's.
Image for Me, My Hair, and I
by Elizabeth Benedict (Goodreads Author)