Maddie
Maddie asked:

This book was so good, it kept me reading and waiting for this great reveal. Weren't you all? It never happens! the ending was so disappointing!

To answer questions about The Diver's Clothes Lie Empty, please sign up.
LeAnne: GeezerMom I think the ending fit the main character - she kept shedding her identity and moving along. When you consider that as a teenager with acne and then an adult with those scars, she was never comfortable in her skin. She took up diving, in part, because only her body position was what was examined, and every single dive ended with her face in the water, hidden away. Obviously, she is still traumatized by the events at home during the three months prior to her trip, and her impaired decision-making is believable, albeit a bit crazy.

I also liked that when she was choosing her final name, she ran through a quick list of "beautiful" names and decided to save them for future daughters she would one day bear. That was a hopeful ending!
Gail Ansel I was surprised at every turn, and felt the story built and built. The names were poignant,and my heart broke. So, I guess this is where readers will differ on expectation. 2nd person POV totally worked for me.
Gordon Paisley I never expected a reveal--the actress didn't really matter and I felt that the gimmicky use of 2nd person was just to try to draw us into this "identity" theme. I thought the book was a lot more about "oh what tangled webs we weave when first we practice to deceive." I didn't like the protagonist and I resent how the author tried to make it ironic by saying that I was the protagonist--it just doesn't resonate.
There is a reason I haven't read a 2nd person POV since I read the 'chose your own adventure' books when I was 11.
Image for The Diver's Clothes Lie Empty