Margaret Butler

I was thinking about purchasing this book for my 8 year old grandson. Is he too young for this book?

To answer questions about A Passage to Shambhala, please sign up.
Claire Quite probably. While there are minimal 'mature themes', the writing is dense and convoluted enough that I had to re-read quite a few sections. I began reading adult novels at 10, but nothing as weighty as this
Tom Asdell The mixed style of the book (partially prose and partially graphic) is not easy to follow, and some of the content will (hopefully) be lost on him. I wouldn't recommend it for the under teen-age crowd although I find the story quite enjoyable.
Roland Bruno 8 is far too young for this book. He'll be lost unless he's reading and comprehending at a college level.
Alexandra Leonzini
Jules I do not think he's too young for it -- However it is a very difficult read. I think the style and format is not for an 8 year old! In fact, I think this book is for a very specific genre' of readers. As I'm sure there are people out there who like this style. I for one am a fan of graphic novels, comic books and illustrative stories -- however, its a refined art form. And for a story such as The Explorers Guild, it made it far too complex too enjoy.

I found it incredibly confusing. Your Grandson may understand the illustrations part of it, and with a childs' imagination I'm sure he can piece the rest of it together.. But neither the lead in or the illustrations really explain much at all. Honestly its like a patch work.

I am 200 pages in to this book and get more and more frustrated with each passing page. On the other hand, I'm committed to finishing it and perhaps reading it over as maybe it will be a better read the second time around - Because at this point, I couldn't even tell you who the main characters are, where they are or what they are doing... (I am being a little sarcastic, but I can say character development is non-existent and so is "historical fiction". Just because you say a book takes places during World War I or any era in history, doesn't mean its historical fiction/fantasy because nothing else in the book (as I have read so far) has anything to do with factual historical context)..

I should add -- the text parts of the book: So at the very beginning, there are approximately 6 or 7 pages of reading. Which then lead to dozens of pages of illustration, comic book style reading.. And this continues pretty much for the entire book. The book is about 85% comic book and 15% text. Even at my age, in my late 30s, I read all the time.. I found the content and style at times, difficult to understand. Long, articulated sentences that may confuse an 8 year old boy -- On the other hand it would be a wonderful education tool as the change from such distinguishable formats may be a difficult but fun challenge for your Grandson to understand.
Image for A Passage to Shambhala