So, it's the first in a series. Will I be unhappy with the ending or should I just wait for all the books in the series to come out? I passionately hate cliff-hanger endings.

To answer questions about The Fifth Season, please sign up.
vesper I would wait, the the ending is not really unhappy, but rather "incomplete".
Miles Sterrett FYI: All three books are out now.
Scarymommy Cliff hanger - I wish I had waited.
A.J. McMahon The first book has a cliffhanger, but all three books are out now.
It's pretty much like you have to read all three anyway to get a sense of fulfillment.

More details here:
https://www.flyintobooks.com/the-fift...
Douglas Beagley I would wait. In many ways, the entire first book is a "preparation". It explains things and builds up. It does not resolve.
Erik Herndon I would read the book. The way everything ties together is remarkable! I just finished the second book, the Obelisk Gate, and feel like I may need to reread and I believe the third is due this year.
Ken Wilson The ending was not a complete resolution but was a good stopping place and one of the most imaginative endings I have ever read. Really beautiful ending but wait till the end to read it.
Eric You can't just read one book; you have to read all three
Image for The Fifth Season
by N.K. Jemisin (Goodreads Author)