Karin
Karin asked:

Has anyone tried Miller's method of free choice in books with older students, like those in upper secondary school/sixth form college? More aspects of reading come into play when working with older students - developing analytical ability, talking about texts in groups, reading a canon etc. I wonder if free choice reading "works" with later curricular demands, so to speak.

Amy A few on my teaching team have tried the free choice with students whom we know have a support system at home to help them navigate. For those with less support, we encourage choosing from a range. We have wheeled book racks in the hallway outside of every class that are labeled by Running Record level. We point out where they can choose from & we teach how to choose good fit books, and the three ways to read a book.
Letizia This is my personal experience in college. I hope I can answer your question. Back in time, I took a class in geology because I was so curious about the subject in a deeper sense. As a final project, our professor ask us for a research paper using a variety of material. As a real books reader..is obvious...instantly went first to the library to look for books. The fact that he implied "..a variety of material" automatically appeared in my head "YEAS!!!! MY CHANCE TO READ A BOOK ABOUT THE TOPIC I WANT IN A DEEPER SENSE AND LEARN MORE ABOUT IT ON MY WAY!!! <3" Of course, at the presentation when I cited the book, the professor was impressed, I was the only student refering to a book I simply read for my research paper. He was impressed by my humble way of learning, instead of going straight to the internet. In the long-short story, for underground readers like me this was my opportunity to read my stuff and then talk about it, anyways I had a justification to put it on my research paper and transmit all my knowledge.
***Sorry about my typos, I was excited to answer your question.
Image for The Book Whisperer
by Donalyn Miller (Goodreads Author)