Every word a writer writes is autobiographical?

To answer questions about Thirteen Ways of Looking, please sign up.
Boy Blue In that every word they write must be pulled from a vocabulary built by their life experience. The trauma from the cowardly attack on McCann is written into each story in Thirteen Ways of Looking. The story Sh'khol clearly shows autobiography pervading a writer's written world. There is no single word in english for a parent who has lost a child but the narrator settles on 'shadowed' just as her son returns from the dead. We feel the meaning from the life she lives, though the translation to someone ignorant of her story may be meaningless.
Don that certainly made me think. I'm not at all sure I agree, though I'd love to hear him speak more about that statement.
Image for Thirteen Ways of Looking
by Colum McCann (Goodreads Author)