Carmen
Carmen asked:

Can you read this book on its own, or do you need to have read the previous books to understand it?

To answer questions about Hogfather, please sign up.
Daniel W The following image models the arcs, which helps with reading order.

http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-o...
Stephanie Knowlson Majority of disc world books can be read in any order. However, if you start at book one you will notice little bits add up in other books along the way.
Elaina I read it on its own without having read the previous books and I had no real issue understanding it.
Natesh Nathan I'm reafing them in the publication order.

Reading them at any random order isn't an issue but following either the publication order or specific story arcs is better.
Søren Christensen It's only the first two of the Discworld novels that is tied together.
This is the fourth of the Death novels (Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music, Hogfather) but you could read them in any order.
You can read this book on it's own and you don't have to read the previous books to understand it. Most people just pick up a random Discworld novel, but I prefer to read them chronological even though there is a Discworld reading order you can look up on google. I don't see any direct connections between storylines in the Death novels, even though the reading order line the four Death novels up in chronological order.
Image for Hogfather