Ami
Ami asked Ariel Schrag:

I really loved the title character of your new book, Adam. How did you write a 17-yr-old boy so convincingly? Is he based on someone you know?

Ariel Schrag Adam c'est moi! Seriously, he is mostly based on myself and my two best straight guy friends. And also my younger sister (who's straight but always tags along to lesbian events with me). One straight cis guy friend once said to me, "You're so lucky, wherever you go you get to just hook up with whatever gay girl scene is happening in that city. It's so hard to make friends..." I thought that was really interesting. The idea that someone from the mainstream would be jealous of someone marginalized because of the social perks.