Sage
Sage asked:

Out of over 25,700 review, only 500 were below 3 stars...I would say this book is worth reading. Agree?

To answer questions about Once We Were Brothers, please sign up.
Jan No - the author doesn't have the skill to handle the parallel stories in their respective time frames. As another reviewer stated, the author's choice to have Ben withhold the most critical piece of evidence is a sign of an inexperienced author who thinks, wrongly, that he is creating tension, and is also a sign of an inattentive editor. Had the author structured the story differently, it might have been better. If you want to read a masterful use of parallel timelines, read Doerr's "All the Light We Cannot See."
Lois No I do not agree. I've read many books on the Holocaust. This was a good story line, however, the author lacks writing skills. I couldn't get into the story because 1. I kept finding errors that should have been edited. 2. I felt like I was reading "Dick and Jane." SO many other excellent books, well written - on the Holocaust.
Lori I would have given it 6 stars!! Wonderful book!!
Sarah Since mine was one of those that gave it 2 stars, I'd have to disagree. There are much better books about the Holocaust out there.
Julie I'm 1/2 way through the book. But I can say I think it's worth the read because the story told about the Holocost is very well told and the entire story is engaging. The 2nd, parallel story told in "current" time could be more sophisticated perhaps, but still a good read (at least for the first 1/2 of the book!) As stated in some other comments, the author has room to grow in his writing skills for two parallel stories, but I would still say to read it! And, the primary story (WWII) is where his skill and passion is focused. I'm engrossed in it!!
Elke Erickson I enjoyed the story, even though I did have some trouble with the writing at times. Cat's questioning sometimes made me feel like I was not reading a novel in the category of younger than Young Adult. And Ben just knew too many statistics for the character to seem believable to me. But the store held my interest, and I plan on reading the next book in the series.
Anne Fallon Yes most definitely. The holocaust was a terrible thing and its sobering to read stories about it. This was told from a different angle This was a bit different and I liked it. The characters may be fiction but you know the events were real.
Annalie I read this book a year ago and still often think about it. It's about much more than just the Holocaust! Highly recommended. At the moment I'm reading Balson's book Saving Sophie and it's very different, but just as good.
Lettie Cox Yes, it is def worth reading. Better story line than others I've read about the Holocaust.
Image for Once We Were Brothers
by Ronald H. Balson (Goodreads Author)