Pamela Atkinson

was it made into a movie?

To answer questions about The 39 Steps, please sign up.
Caroline Actually, it was made into three feature movies, one BBC made-for-television movie, a British theatre one , and several radio adaptations, including one with Orson Welles. None stick to the book, and nearly all include a love interest for Hannay, which is not in the book, either.
Sharon Two movies, actually. One by Hitchcock that only barely follows the same plotline, and one in 2008 that more closely follows the story. The changes in the '08 movie aren't terrible, and it's an enjoyable movie, but the book is more interesting.
Rory It was, and was much better than the book surprisingly.
Rosan Tommy yes in 1935 by Alfred Hitchcock but it's changed alot
Digby Digbynet The 1959 film version of The 39 Steps has some interesting moments. One is how to crash a car plunging downhill out of control and not damage it. Another one is how two people (Kenneth More playing Hannay and female co-star) can remain underneath a country hump-backed bridge invisible while above you a man with a gun is searching for you both with the intention of blowing your brains out.

Lastly another one is of Kenneth More wandering around in the middle of nowhere with a tiny backpack on his back and wearing a very twee pair of short, shorts. A nice shade of pale blue as I recall. Trying to 'blend into the countryside'. Ha ha. All good fun when I first viewed this film when I was 11 years old when it first came out. Now, every time I see it on the telly I can't help but smile at the performance of Kenneth More who throughout the 1950s and early sixties was riding the crest of a wave of popularity.
Image for The 39 Steps