Jerome Jarvis
Jerome Jarvis asked:

Has any one else noticed the lost silver lode in this story? Its mentioned early on as lying in wait underground. I kept waiting for one of the characters to stumble upon it and change their fortune. Never happened. Still waiting there I guess.

To answer questions about East of Eden, please sign up.
Heidi oh wow....yet another thread the author brought in and didn't develop.
Samuel Downey If anything, nobody stumbling on the lode would symbolize that it is still up to each individual to determine their own fortune and morality. Not sure if this was intended or not.
Kestutis Satkauskas Jerome, I believe author never intended it to develop into something big. Samuel's finding if it was just a symbolic foreshadowing of the "multilyering" of the land, the valley, which was forest many many years ago. Discovery of silver and other things were assigned the indicative role of what's to come. And, good lord, what things happened. Here discovery of silver just wasn't meant to lead to a goldrush type of events
Image for East of Eden