Andrew Helms
Andrew Helms asked:

I'm currently reading this book - about 50 pages in. So far, it is awful and I have very little desire to continue. What's the consensus? Should I continue, or just give up?

To answer questions about The Country of Ice Cream Star, please sign up.
Jessica The vernacular took a little getting used to, but it's worth it. The ending is beautiful.
Adam It took me a very long time to get in to but I just finished it and I really loved it. I'm glad I pushed through.
Brendon keep going. its wonderful. imo
Amy I finished it and wished I hadn't.
Nita I enjoyed the beginning and right up to the last quarter and then found it difficult to continue. Loved the dialect though.
Caitlin Give up. Dialect aside, it stays boring.
Meran Mark Twain wrote in dialect for Huck Finn. I read that as a 9 yr old.

This is MUCH easier (and not because I'm older.) If you're having trouble with a word, read it out loud. Don't think about it too much, just smash all the letters together like reading every day.

Tough, rough, daughter... all those have gh it in. You don't pronounce them all the same, and you don't think about it. (I could give more examples, but it's not needed. You get the gist.)
Image for The Country of Ice Cream Star
by Sandra Newman (Goodreads Author)