Chris
Chris asked:

is this an appropriate book for school, without racial stereo types, etc.?

To answer questions about Waterless Mountain, please sign up.
Katherine I don't feel like it has racial stereo types that are inappropriate, even for the time it was written which is the early 1930's. I thought it was a beautifully written story that helped me understand Native American culture better. I feel like now I have a greater understanding for how they view the world around them, what they feel is sacred, and how they lived their lives. I think the only reason it would be hard for teenagers to read is that it is not very action packed and has a slow beginning. That being said, as far as appropriateness goes, I think it is very appropriate.
Dana Simpson I think this book rises above racial slurs, what little there it is so obscure that one really has to be looking for it. This is just a very well written piece of literature that I would like to remind everyone that is a Noble Prize winner! I read this story in elementary school and again later in life. There are so many lessons that any child can learn from this inspiring story. Self reliance, man verse nature, faith in God, need I go on? Besides, if you are so worried about all that CRAP getting passed down to generations, get rid of Gone with the Wind, Roots, or even the bible for that matter!
Angie Lisle I wouldn't use this book. Most kids probably wouldn't pick up on the subtle racism toward Native Americans, but it falls under subliminal messaging and I don't want that crap passed down to future generations. Cultural appropriation could also be argued with this book.

Here are a couple links that might give you better reading suggestions on Native Americans:

http://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.com/

http://www.firstnations.org/books
Image for Waterless Mountain