Sarah 서라
Sarah 서라 asked:

Is this a clean book? What themes? Best translation?

To answer questions about War and Peace, please sign up.
Nich 1. By "clean" I assume you mean inappropriate. There is nothing in the book that I found inappropriate. The 19th century classic writers that I am familiar with would not write anything sexually explicit in their books even if some events would occur indicating what was considered improper sexual conduct (i.e., wife gets pregnant with someone other than her husband, or an unmarried girl gets pregnant, or a guy tries to marry a girl when he already has a wife, or people have an affair etc.). There are elements of this and also lust mentioned and discussed in the book but not done in a way that is inappropriate or explicit. If you're worried about seeing bad words or explicit descriptions of sex, have no fear.
2. There are a lot of themes mainly of glory, war, love, patriotism, religion, and how people remember and describe history and "great men"
3. I only read one translation Pevear and Volokhonsky's new translation. It was very good. Stay away from Constance Garnet's translations in general.
Image for War and Peace