Betty Confetti

To answer questions about The Round House, please sign up.
Sarah I think it was a good idea for them to have a different location. After the man had been shot, the police would comb the area looking for the weapon. Of course, the police didn't do a good job with the mom's crime scene - didn't find the gas can - but this crime had clearer jurisdictions (I think??) so the police may have done a better job??
Lee There were definitely holes in the plot, and the gun was one of them. The one that stood out the most to me was the supposed legal loophole caused by Geraldine not being able to say exactly where she was raped. Why couldn't they go ahead and charge Linden for kidnapping and attempted murder, which clearly took place in the round house on tribal land? Anyway, I did enjoy the novel despite its occasional plot holes.
Greg The Round House won the National Book Award on the strength of the characters and richness of the world they live in. The plot has a number of internal contradictions and this, as you point out, is one of them. This episode is contrived to let Joe receive absolution from Linda for murdering her brother. Since she was his closest living relative, this is suppose to symbolize that justice has been served. (Many tribal judicial systems around the world will not prosecute a murderer if the victim's family does not press charges.)

As you say, though, this whole meeting could have come about in a manner that made sense.
Image for The Round House