Rebecca
Rebecca asked:

So, has anyone made Pat Prager's peanut butter bars yet? If they really were that great, I was thinking look out Halloween potluck at work.

To answer questions about Kitchens of the Great Midwest, please sign up.
J. Stradal They're based on a recipe from my great-grandmother's cookbook, and while they may not be for everybody, folks in my family have enjoyed them for decades.
Jennifer Mazarr I made them for my book club after we read it! My son said he was mad at me. I asked why. He said because I had never made them before and he is 18! ;) One thing I would advise is to play around with the quantity of powdered sugar. I found them to be almost painfully sweet to my taste and I had knocked the sugar back by at least 1/4 cup. (Plus some peanut butters add a good bit of sugar to the mix too, not even mentioning the graham crackers which add sugar as well.) Just to be clear, I am not talking about remaking it for dietary reasons, it was about taste for me.

Loved the book! So many wonderful, funny, real characters!
Barb Fay
Kitty They are home-baked versions of Reese's Peanut Butter Candy. We make them in Scotland when we suffer withdrawal symptoms having moved here from Iowa.
Kelly I made them last night after finishing the book. I halved the recipe and made them in an 8x8 pan. If I made the whole recipe I fear I would have eaten the entire pan! Next time I might replace some of the graham crackers with pretzels instead, just to change it up. I used Ghiradeli milk chocolate chips--these are divine!
Sylvia I didn't make them, but a member of my book club did and brought them to our discussion of this book. They were yummy! An old, comforting classic type recipe. She claims she is not a good baker, but found these nice and easy to make.
Dorothy Reinhold Yes, I just made them and blogged about them here: http://www.shockinglydelicious.com/bl...

Loved them! Note: They are soft at room temperature (in Southern Calif.) so must be stored in the refrig. They're very much like a better homemade Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.
Helen McAlary I'm going to make them for my book club next week, we all just finished the book and peanut butter bars sound like the perfect compliment to the discussion!
Kerry Friedewald Just made them last weekend, they are delicious and extremely addictive! I halved the recipe for an 8X8 pan.
Kelly They were soo good. Our bookclub had them while we discussed this book. I may have had 3 of them lol
Cindy Yes! Crazy simple and strangely delicious.
Annie O My sister made me read this book and promise that I wouldn't skip ahead and read any of the recipes. I'm pretty sure she was referring to Pat's bar recipes. My mom makes all the same bars that were in this book including on similar to Celeste's recipe. I loved this book, growing up in Minnesota and now living in South Dakota this book was like comfort food.
Leigh I made them. Thought they were very good and easy too!
Katie This is a very common recipe, and I've seen it all over the place - in magazines and blogs and at nearly every family potluck. Full disclosure, I live in Wisconsin, so maybe thats why.
Rebecca I didn't get to make them for Halloween, but based on everyone's answer here I'm dreaming of a peanut butter bar Christmas.
Image for Kitchens of the Great Midwest
by J. Ryan Stradal (Goodreads Author)