Danielle
Danielle asked:

What age of child would you recommend this book to? My niece just turned 7 years old and I was thinking of giving it to her for Christmas. Should I wait until she is older? Maybe eight or ten? What do you think?

To answer questions about Akata Witch, please sign up.
Elyse It's definitely a middle grade book. 10+ depending on the child's reading level. If they're reading Harry Potter, this is fine.
Ruth Fitts I think of this as young adult...not that there is anything inappropriate for a younger child, but I would recommend it for 12 & up.
Clarizador 13 and up cause the #2 has stuff that not sutable for yunger kids but my 13 year old friend read it and i red it and we say to wait untill there 13 or 14
Chloe I would say at least 12 - the violence - e.g. the wrestling match, and in her relationship with her father could be upsetting for younger readers.
Irene o i would think at least 10 yrs old, if not 12. seems pretty mature, and watch out for language, not horrible, but goddamn is one.
Kitsuko I am seven years old and reading this book right now. I love it so far!
R.Q. Woodward I would definitely buy this for a 9 or 8 year old depending on their maturity level. The protagonist is 12. I think waiting until 11 would be fine.
Catie Agree with Ruth, just be wary of some language in the book, such as damn and goddamn.
Image for Akata Witch
by Nnedi Okorafor (Goodreads Author)