Christopher
Christopher asked:

I've never read any of Mr. Franzen's books. What book should I start reading?

To answer questions about Freedom, please sign up.
Irina "The Corrections" will be the one to sweep you off your feet!
Jill McCagherty Absolutely The Corrections!!
Campbell I would definitely read Freedom before Purity as there are certain themes in the former that are explored more fully in the latter. If you read them the other way round (as I did), you get a strange 'shrinkage of perspective' effect that takes away from the story a little.
Nanno Mulder Don't know that it makes much difference You could also try 50 pages in any one of them, If you like that you will fall for all his books. Its not the story, nor the characters that will win you over, if that is to happen. Its something like his minimalistic vision on life.
Israel Carlock I set out reading Freedom, it was the title that came to my ears from Rodrigo Fresan, another writer who popped up Franzen work while he was talking about the Infinite Jest.
Definitely it was a great selection. My recommendation is pick up the one you feel it's calling you.
Silvia Romano The corrections!! then, yoy can start with Freedom and them, Purity. You will see the evolution of the author.
Hal I've read only The Corrections and Freedom. Between those, definitely go with The Corrections.
Image for Freedom