Max Higgins
Max Higgins asked:

I am still waiting to read On south mountain. I have not been able to locate it anywhere except Amazon and they wanted a ridiculous price. Is this book worth waiting for or is it disturbing and reading the book can not change anything. Also, is this way of life still practiced?

sylvia kemp Max, I just finished this book and I would be happy to send it to you, free. Worth waiting for? Don't know, only you can answer that, it is disturbing. Anything about incest is bound to be disturbing. I would give it 3 stars, the history is worth it. Sylvia
Nimbus Publishing We hear that people haven't been able to find copies of this book since it was declared out of print, so we just put together an anniversary edition (with a new Preface and Epilogue from the authors), which should be available at the end of May. Hope that helps!
Karen Martin Since this happen in Nova Scotia in the '80's, I would say yes, this still does happen in many areas of the world where people live in isolation either geographically, or by choice with the religion they practice.

In North America many of the closed settlements of Hutterites, Amish and Mennonites shunned those outsiders of other faiths, and incest was often the norm. After many incidences of inbreeding ie. physical deformities, mental difficiencies, and still-births over the years, the elders of many of these communities broke with tradition and allowed men from outside to impregnate the women to bring in "fresh blood".

I know this for a fact as my husband was in the military in his 20's. He was based near such a closed religious sect, and once or twice a year healthy military men would be paid to "service" the young women; the clandestine meeting would be so arranged that neither party saw whom they were bedding, for the sake of "propriety".

The recent incarceration of Warren Jeffs, the head of one of the plural sects of the LDS, in Utah, proves again that this incestuousness and child sexual abuse still happens in this day and age, and sadly, probably more than we could ever imagine.
Image for On South Mountain