Merry
Merry asked:

do you think Eva is an example of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl?

To answer questions about Kitchens of the Great Midwest, please sign up.
Beccanox I think the determining aspect of an MPDG is that she briefly comes into one man/boy's life to reveal to him all the ways his life could be better if he just Lived. This archetype is pretty patriarchal because any qualities an MPDG demonstrates serve mainly in the male awakening, and then she disappears, suddenly and selfishly. Eva is focused on herself, her career, and the family she loves, but none of her relationships particularly changed the men she was with...Will's two dates were angsty because he was a teen, Robbe left her instead of vice-versa, and Adam is still in-process. Imma vote against Eva as an MPDG, but perhaps she has a few MarySue tendencies.
Alycia I don't think so because Eva isn't trying to be anything but herself. Manic Pixie Dream Girls are trying really hard to be amazing and goofy and different. Eva is just talented and successful.
J. Stradal Not in my opinion, but she is held in such high esteem by a number of the other characters, and as an adult, is rarely shown making mistakes, so I can see why a reader could perceive a certain mythic element to her.
Image for Kitchens of the Great Midwest
by J. Ryan Stradal (Goodreads Author)