Goodreads asked L. Bachman:

L. Bachman The best advice I can give is to be like the ancient phoenix. This business can be rough, involve a lot of hard work, and if you let it can bring you down very much. This is when you become the phoenix, rise from the ashes, and come back. Everyone runs into people that say hurtful things, but you can change how those words affect you and your work. I learned this lesson in a very hard way, set me back years where I could been producing beautiful things and sharing them.

I showed something I wrote to the ‘wrong person’ and their comments utterly destroyed me. I didn't let another person read one of my stories for more than a decade. I can’t get that time back, but I can use that lesson as a reminder to be the phoenix. Rise from the ashes and burn my own niche in the world.

Do what you love, if it’s not writing you’ll find out, but NEVER let ANYONE ever stomp out your beautiful flames. Never let anyone dictate what you do with your life, it won’t be your life if you let someone else rule it, be the king/queen of your own world.

L.