Violet Garcia
Violet Garcia asked:

Is this book interesting?

To answer questions about The Snow Leopard, please sign up.
Joan O'Connor This book was the reason why I went to Nepal as a 20-something, hiking the Himalayas on my own, sleeping in tea-houses, eating dahlbat everyday and still reminiscing 30 years later about the best time in my life. This book will spark that interest in you and prompt you to search yourself.
Tom Yes.

This book can change your life. Aside from being very well written (see Paola's answer), it's about paying attention - and what you choose to pay attention to - amidst strenuous exercise, the loss of a wife, voluntary separation from your child, a quest for growth, and more.
Miranda Beer epic,,,can read over and over
Paola It is very interesting, one of the rare books I know I will read again and again, but then I am very partial when it comes to Matthiessen.
He was a fantastic writer, one of a really rare breed...
First of all - he did know how to write: his use of the language is brilliant, there is never a word or a comma that does not have a place - every single one counts.
There are different layers to the book - so it really depends on what you are looking for. It's about an expedition in the Himalayas, to observe the rut of the blue sheep... but it is mainly about Matthiessen inner experiences in those months. It's about the mountains, the people who live there.
It is about a man who had recently lost his partner.
About his experience as someone who practices meditation.
It's about a friendship.
And about the place - those mountains are special.

I read while in Nepal, after finishing a trek, and found so many things I could relate to in the book that I cannot be impartial in my judging it! I have to add that I am also someone who meditates, so really it is a book that ticks a lot of boxes for me....
Image for The Snow Leopard