I know this is a standalone but, if starting the series from scratch, where would you recommend reading it... 1.5, 2.5, etc.?

To answer questions about The Prefect, please sign up.
Amelia This is the first book I read in the series, and it was a mistake. The Prefect is for people who are already fans of this universe.
Scott Firestone 1.5. There are characters and events that are in Revelation Space, and that makes this more affecting. I'd be bummed if I read this before Revelation Space.
Krazykiwi If you click through to the series from the title of the book, there is a lot of information there.

Reynolds provides numbering only for primary three novels, but does give a timeline as to when the others are *set*, which differs greatly from publication order. He flat out states there's no preferred order other than the original trilogy, and even that's not set in stone.

The timeline however, does help orient the stories against each other.

Any other numbering is purely opinion, so I removed it from the series entries here on GR.
Joel I would recommend reading Revelation Space first. So 1.5. It isn't absolutely necessary to enjoy the book, but there are a lot of references to some characters and events that took place in Revelation Space, and the fact that I understood these references, it made the book overall even more enjoyable and satisfying.
Image for The Prefect