Jeddy
Jeddy asked:

10 years later is this still worth reading? If not, anything comparable that's more up to date?

Art It includes predictions, most of which are decades ahead of the publishing date, so yes. I think this is Kurzweil's 3rd version of basically the same novel (The Age of Spiritual Machines was the previous one, I think). So, until he makes a newer replacement for it, or until nanobots are allowing you to hold your breathe for 2 hours while your driverless hover-car takes you to a sky bar, literally in the sky, to do get something things done in the cloud, I would say this is still worth checking out :P
Jason Cox I just finished it and I have to say it's quite interesting. Certainly makes you think about how much untapped potential is out there.
The age of the book shows a bit in that R.K. wrote this before Moore's Law completely fell off the tracks. His timelines are extraordinarily optimistic (which is, I perceive, where he has consistently received most of his criticism in the past).
That said, I still think it's a worthy and fun read.
I'm not sure of other books which might be similar (but more updated), but this book makes me want to search those books out.
William This really should be an article or essay instead of a book. Kurzweil's ideas might have been great but they're commonplace now, and his lengthy arguments are overboard and repetitive
JohnNY yes its more or less like niall d. Tyson books it reads like a collection of lecture and essays but more about the future than about the past, these subject matters can only be rephrased when talking about science and chemistry unless you just write about your own opinions and predictions, until nasa starts getting data back from james Webb telescope
Cliff It was never worth reading. An essay's worth of facile ideas bloated into a book.
Image for The Singularity is Near