This book was much worse than the brilliant film made by Istvan Szabo- read my review. This made me wonder if there are other examples of film interpretation of the book being better than the book itself. Can you name any?

To answer questions about Mephisto, please sign up.
Jukka Aakula I disagree - I liked this book a lot - was ofcourse quite different from the film
David Widlan The Wonder Boys,and both Stand by Me and the Shawshank Redemption - each from Stephen King short stories
Daniel Hofmann A Clockwork Orange.
Alexey Gretsov You cant say film "better" because films and books are defferent types of art, they use different techniques/tools. You can say you like film more and thats all.
Also
literature>cinema by far
Quinten Collier Fight Club and Blade Runner (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep)
Jack McDaniel Being There by Jerzy Kosiński. The movie starred Peter Sellers who was absolutely magnificent. The novel wasn't bad (not great, either). The movie was just very good.
Chris Reason The film of The Godfather is so much much better than the book.
Malum Fight Club. Even the author of the novel said that the movie was better.
Anne-Marijn Küthe No, I can't. Sometimes films are just as good as the book, for example the French lieutenant's woman.
Image for Mephisto