Jason Howell
Jason Howell asked Bianca Mori:

Have you ever worried that your work isn't "literary" or "smart" enough? and/or "Marketable" or "accessible" enough? Are these necessary concerns? Or do you find them stifling? When concepts like these start closing in, do you work *around* or *through* them?

Bianca Mori Great question! These are all valid worries and I definitely feel the push-pull between 'literary/smart' on one end and 'marketable/accessible' on the other. The answer we all want to hear (and say) is 'Write what you want! Worry about reaching readers later.' But the truth is that -- and especially true for independent authors who have to hustle to get noticed -- is that no one will get to read all your great work (and decide for themselves if they like it) if they don't know it exists. As an indie author, I always have to have marketability on my mind. But not so much that I end up writing something that I myself wouldn't enjoy reading. That's always how I calibrate: am I writing something I myself would enjoy? If I start veering away from that towards what I hear a certain target market wants, then I know it's time to start steering back.