Jason Howell
Jason Howell asked Lissa Johnston:

Have you ever worried that your work isn't "literary" or "smart" enough? and/or "Marketable" or "accessible" enough? Are these necessary concerns? Or do you find them stifling? When concepts like these start closing in, do you work *around* or *through* them?

Lissa Johnston Hi Jason and thanks for the question. I have to admit I have not worried about being literary or smart enough until now that you have mentioned - thanks for that! Seriously, though, with my initial books being non-fiction and my grad school training in research methods, those were not concerns. That's not to say they won't be in future when I will be writing in different genres. As for being marketable or accessible, this is a good question. It's tempting to sneer at writers who chase fads. But marketing and accessibility are important components of driving book sales. If you are at all interested in making money in the writing biz, you really should be considering these factors in a way that doesn't compromise the goal of your project. For example, if you will be self-publishing in Kindle, it's smart marketing to understand your genre and niche, what's already out there, what's selling, what's not, and where there might be an opportunity for you. There's a great article about that by author C.S. Lakin here http://www.thebookdesigner.com/2013/1...

I think if you use the marketing and accessibility concepts as important tools in the planning phases, they can be useful rather than stifling. When the four concepts in your question become the larger question of Doubt, you have to punch Doubt in the face and keep writing.