Goodreads asked Aaron Cully Drake:

Aaron Cully Drake Writer's block is less about the trouble of writing 500 words than it is about writing the first word.

Few writers are out of ideas. Few writers don't have a handbag full of thoughts, possible storylines, observations. When I'm blocked, what I'm really saying is that I don't know how to start.

So I sit down and set myself free: "You can write about anything you want. It can be the same sentence over and over again, if you dare. But you have to write 500 words, in whatever form they come out."

Sure enough, after the first terribly slow, tooth-pullingly painful 100 words, things start to roll. By the time you hit 500 words, you find that you want to keep going.