Goodreads asked Helen E. Barrow:

Helen E. Barrow I got the idea for the plot in its most rudimentary form on the 21st of June 2014. I was chatting with my husband, who had read an article on the exclusion of bisexuals within the LGBT community. In my mind this merged with an earlier conversation we had about bullying.
Inspired to write for the first time since being humiliated by my English teacher when I was fourteen, I spent the next three days writing what I was convinced was a 10,000 word manuscript worthy of my being invited to assume my place as the living ghost of William Shakespeare. My friends and family who I sent it to were polite, but I detected caution in their optimistic critiques.
Reading it now makes me wish I had broken all of my fingers that day as it was ATROCIOUS.