Goodreads asked D.J. Evans:

D.J. Evans Just go for it. You have a great feeling of accomplishment and pride when you have your book out there.
After helping my partner publish his book (Nicky P Gardiner), I was so proud of his achievement and wondered if I could ever do something like that myself. I wanted to write about what I knew about so this seemed the logical thing. Nicky has a great imagination so writing fiction suits him. I am a fact-based girl so non-fiction is more my forte and I love doing the research.
Writing the book is just the beginning though. If you are self-published, you have to check and double-check everything and make sure your manuscript is correctly formatted for every occasion. I first published my book on Amazon for the kindle and the formatting of the book for that took ages. Then I wanted to get it released in a paperback version (via CreateSpace on Amazon) and getting the formatting correct in order for it to upload correctly with the contents and index pages numbers correct took forever - after six attempts I was ready to throw my computer out of the window! Then, I wanted to release it in all the other eBook formats so have just uploaded the Word version to Smash Words - hopefully that will look ok or I will cry!
And don't get me started on the book cover design process...
You will need to have a lot of patience as the publishing process can take longer than the writing process! But it is worth it in the end. Just take a deep breath and take your time. It will be worth it.