Goodreads asked Daniel Mallen:

Daniel Mallen Having worked for the emergency services most of my adult life, you do encounter sudden death quite a bit. It got me thinking about where do we all go? And those old photos everyone has at home of long past relatives who gaze out from yellowed paper with their strange clothes and funny hair- where have they all gone?
I play a lot of guitar and know very little about the cello but for some unexplainable reason Abigail Perdue was to become a cellist for my book and she gets to discover the greatest mystery of all - Where has everyone gone?
That's a simplistic version of where they idea came from but I've long had the feeling that there's something more to our lives without buying into too much what the overtly religious have to say on it. Love is an immeasurable force and in this story I wanted to examine that.
Also the main theme of what would happen if we had to judge each other came into play & that's what happens in The Judging of Abigail Perdue - six diverse people arrive in a holding block (Stasis) after they die and are told by their advocates that they must judge each other.