Goodreads asked Edward Odson:

Edward Odson My wife and I actually did care for her father in our home. He had Alzheimer's disease and toward the end was unable to communicate. Although almost completely unresponsive, he would appear at times become aware of a presence only he could hear and see. It made me wonder if his condition was allowing him to communicate with some unseen world. (Another level of creepiness was added by our dog occasionally gazing in the same direction he did.)

As I sat with him in the evenings I would imagine what worlds he might have access to. A little searching revealed that cases of enhanced psychic ability in dementia victims have been recorded.

He passed away with the entire family around his bed, much as Randall does in my novel. Our finances were tight at the time and part time jobs that fit my schedule were scarce. I applied for a job as a caretaker for the elderly and was hired, but was warned, just as the protagonist in my book was, men almost never get assignments. The only exception is a male client who exhibits inappropriate behavior around women.

I never got an assignment, but I began to think about what I would do if they did assign some difficult old guy for me to care for.

Suppose, thought I, he was a demon.

I began thinking about Care Taker the moment that thought hit me.