Goodreads asked Robert E Kreig:

What’s the best thing about being a writer?

Robert E Kreig Escape.
Total immersive escape.
I don't believe non-writers understand this the way that writers do. Readers do to some extent, but there is another level to this concept when you are creating and totally taken away by your own creation.
The best thing about being a writer is being led by your characters into places you, or sometimes other writers, have never been before. I love the adventure of exploration and the unfolding of the path set before my protagonists and antagonists, and I love journeying with them. I love following a plan of sorts only to have something unexpected appear so that I then need to write my heroes out of the situation and get them back on track or amend the plan if called for.
The unexpected forks in the road.
The loss of time due to adventure.
That's the best thing about being a writer.