Goodreads asked Robert E Kreig:

Robert E Kreig My advice for aspiring writers isn't one of absolute encouragement. Most of the answers to this question, that I've read, are inspirational and motivational truths that sound like sportswear advertisements, just do it.
Whilst that kind of thing is apt, and needed from time to time for most of us, there is something that I think is invaluable for the writer starting out and for any indie author in existence. That is; get someone else to proofread and edit your work. In fact, I will go a step further and state; get a professional that you have to pay to proofread and edit your work.
There is nothing better than a second or even a third set of eyes to gloss over your writing and pick out all the small inconsistencies with grammar, spelling, cohesion, plot and continuity. You will always miss something when self-checking. Writing software like Grammarly, Scrivener, ProWritingAid and the likes are great tools to help you with this, but they are not real people and only real people read writers' works like real people.
So, get yourself a professional, paid for their work editor.