Goodreads asked Eric Stockwell:

Eric Stockwell I've found that writer's block is usually systemic of the stage you're within, and now I must clarify lest I confuse myself. If you're still mulling over the myriad possibilities of what type of thing to write period, you COULD attach genre-post-its to a dart board and hope the dart hits something you have SOME measure of knowledge on. Personally, I'd make a selection closest relating to what most entertains me; if that selection is something I'm not intimately familial with, there's the internet. Research, read, view, soak it in.

Conversely, if you've already started writing the story and you've run into writer's block, that may be your subconscious telling you that you're not overly inspired by the point the story drew you to. I like to step back and interrogate myself on the tale: “what would I enjoy seeing right now?” “How would my main characters feel or react to the current or upcoming situation?” “What situation shall enable me to progress to the desired finale of the book?” I've found that answering ANY of these questions makes the book, seemingly, write itself; it doesn't, of course… it still needs you. What?… Are you seriously stepping away for a fine-tasting beverage? There's gonna be a quiz on this later!…