Jason Howell
Jason Howell asked Dolen Perkins-Valdez:

People talk about "Aha!" moments. What about "I've stopped caring!" moments? Can you recall a particular instance, in writing or in life, where stopping caring was the cure? Where *letting go* jettisoned you forward, helped you get unstuck?

Dolen Perkins-Valdez Oh, Jason, what a question. What a question! I think my answer to this question applies to writing and life. I have stopped caring what the "literary establishment" thinks of my writing. Instead, I keep my focus on my readers. I also listen to my heart. As long as I am speaking from an authentic place, and my readers are responding with their unvarnished opinions (whether critical or supportive), I feel at peace in the world. The same answer applies to everything else. I strive to be better, but I think I do it for the right reasons these days. :-)