A Goodreads user asked Lisa See:

I just finished reading "China Dolls" and loved it! In a lot of your novels, you explore the interpersonal relationships between women. What made you decide to pursue that as a theme?

Lisa See Thank you for your kind words. I'm so glad you enjoyed "China Dolls!" Relationships between women—whether friends for life, sister-wives, or actual sisters—are very different. At the same time, they are uniquely female. A woman will tell her best friend things she won’t tell her mother, husband, or children. That particular intimacy is wonderful and a true blessing, but it can also leave you open to betrayal and hurt. Women being married to the same man—whether in China or with Mormans or with whatever group anywhere in the world—is also unique and rife with jealousy and rivalries, but this relationship can also be the basis for great friendship and comfort. As for sisters, well, the sibling relationship is typically the longest we’ll have in our lifetimes. Our parents will die before we do, our children will outlive us, and often women outlive their husbands, right? A sister can be your closest friend, someone who is almost a stranger, or even an enemy. What’s the difference between sisters and women who say they are “closer than sisters”? A sister is for life. I write about these relationships because I’m a woman, because I want to connect to women, and because women’s stories still need to be told.