Goodreads asked Lonnie Mann:

Lonnie Mann Toward the end of 2012, I had some vacation days left at work which would expire if I didn't use them. I was living in NYC at the time, and there was a lot of tourism ads for Iceland around the city. I ended up booking a quick 3 1/2-day trip, thinking it would be fun to make a page or two of comics about it.

A year and a half later, I finished a whole long-form travelogue comic! At the time, I had printed short runs of the comic comprised of 3 little mini volumes. Later, in March 2015, I ran a kickstarter to combine it all into one book, along with new watercolors and stories about the second trip I took, while I was working on the comic itself.

So, the final book was really kind of an organic evolution of thinking "maybe I'll make a page or two of comics about this."